Signs You Have a Water Main Leak
At Murrayville Plumbing & Heating Ltd. we deal with water main leaks and major plumbing issues every week. You can save a lot of money with some great plumbing tips and services from your local Langley plumbing company. We offer 24 hour plumbing, heating, drainage and gas fitting services throughout the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. Learn more about the signs you have a water main leak by reading on our in our blog post.
Common Signs Of Watermain Leaks
Broken water mains can cause considerable damage to your home and property if they are not detected and repaired in good time. The leaks can not only flood your home but can also weaken streets, your driveway or yard and cause cement and asphalt to crumble. When such extensive damage occurs, fixing the main line can be both costly and time-consuming. This is because it may take homeowners a considerable period before they realize that the water line is leaking. It will be even harder to detect the leaks if they occur below the ground level. Leaks are one of the most stubborn plumbing problems and can appear in your floors, on your walls, and in your ceiling.
What is the Water Main?
Your water main is the line that links the plumbing system in your home to the public water supply. This pipe channels water from the public supply to the pipes in your home, ensuring that you have an adequate supply of water. Since this main water line is usually located underground, it cannot be accessed without digging. This is why it is important for homeowners to take precautions and spot the possible signs of a leak or other issues in this water line.
Signs of a Leak in Your Water Main
Considering how difficult it is to identify leaks, there are a few signs that homeowners can pay attention to and rely on as indicators of a leaking pipe in the home.
Here is a list of the most common signs to look out for:
- Water pooling in the street or driveway. This is perhaps one of the most common signs of a leaking main water line. When a pipe ruptures and the leaking water has nowhere to go, it will bubble up into the street. When homeowners notice bubbling water in the street, it is advisable to get plumbing services immediately.
- Water in Your Yard. Other clear signs of a possible leak or leaks in the pipes are unexplained wet areas in the yard as well as sinkholes. Since these conditions can pose a significant danger to the children and animals in your compound. You should call for professional plumbing services once you notice the signs.
- Puddles in Your Home. Water that accumulates in your home, especially under sinks or on the floor, could be an indicator of a leak in the pipes. While some of the problems may be easy to detect, those behind walls and ceilings will not be easily visible. Having an inspection of your plumbing system will help to reveal these problems.
- Wet Spots. It is important to inspect the areas around sinks, toilets, and tubs. You should look out for discolored areas or wet spots, as these may reveal to you the leaks in your plumbing system.
- Damp Drywall. Damp drywall and ceilings with wet rings are clear signs of water from a leaking pipe. If this problem is left without being addressed, it may cause great damage to your home structure. Homeowners should call a plumber to repair the defects so that there is no further damage to the property.
- Unexplained High Water Bills. When you have not had any unusual activity in your home but have unexplained high water bills, this could be a sign of a leaking pipe. You should keep in mind other signs such as puddles, damp drywall, wet rings on the ceiling and wet areas. The physical indicators can also help you to detect plumbing problems.
- Low Water Pressure. When you experience low water pressure but there is an assurance of water supply. This means that there is a problem in the water main or the pipes in your home. Disturbances in the line including ruptured or clogged pipes, may reduce the pressure of the water that reaches your home.
- Cracks in the Foundation of Your Home. Leaking water can seep into the foundation of your house, causing cracks to develop. When this goes on for a prolonged period, the leaking water will weaken the structural components of the home. This will manifest itself in the form of cracks in the walls and foundation.
- Water Sounds. Bubbling noises from the toilet or sink, whistling from the pipes, banging, dripping and clanking may be signs that some of the pipes in your home are broken. You should always pay attention to any sounds coming from areas likely to experience water leaks.
- Unpleasant Odor. When dirty water and sewage are not being channeled to the intended public sewer lines, there is bound to be an unpleasant odor in your home. This is a sign that the pipes may be backed up or blocked.
If you see any signs that you have a watermain leak make sure and call a plumber before it is too late. Murrayville Plumbing has the team ready for any emergency at any time. Our company offers professional services, backed by great customer service. Call today and we’ll send your plumbing problems where they belong, down the drain. If you have a water main leak or just need a new faucet installed, we can handle any job you need. Our team works with residential, commercial plumbing and strata companies to ensure that every area is covered. Our cooling, heating, gas service and plumbing is working in tip top shape.