Langley drainage services for sump pump installation and repairs can help prevent potential flooding problems from occurring in your home’s basement. The plumbing experts from Murrayville Plumbing understand the importance of properly installing and repairing a sump pump. That is why we offer sump pump installation and repair services throughout Langley and the surrounding areas.
Sump Pump Installation
If your Langley basement does not currently have a perimeter drain or sump pit, a licensed plumber can easily install a sump pump using the following procedure:
- Jackhammer a perimeter drain and sump pit—A drainage channel can be installed around the edge of the basement floor, which will lead the water to the sump pit that can be installed below the basement floor.
- Install a drain pipe—A drainage pipe is installed, sloping slightly downward where it enters the sump pit to ensure proper drainage. Gravel is then used to surround the drain pipe as it is placed in the drainage channel.
- Install the sump pump—Once a durable plastic sump liner has been installed in the sump pit, the sump pump can be placed inside the liner.
- Patch the floor—Mortar is then used to cover the drain tile along the perimeter of the basement wall, as well as to patch the edge of the sump liner.
- Power up the sump pump—Sump pumps should be installed on their own GFCI-protected circuits.
- Install the exterior drain line—A hole is drilled in the basement rim joist so that the plastic drain line can extend to the home’s exterior. The drain line is then connected to the sump pump outlet port and a check valve is installed on the drain line to prevent water from flowing back into the pump.
Sump Pump Repairs and Maintenance
Langley homeowners will often have to deal with the following common sump pump repairs and maintenance:
Checking the Float
To check the float on your Langley home’s sump pump, slowly pour water into the sump pit. If the float rises with the water and the pump activates and then shuts off, the float on the sump pump is working properly. If the float does not work, chances are that you will need to replace the check valve.
Cleaning the Sump Pit
Even if the sump pump in your Langley home is working properly, you should clean out the sump pit on a regular basis. Make sure to unplug the pump before removing any loose items in the pit that might cause the impeller to jam. If the impeller is not working properly, remove the pump from the pit to access and clean out the screen and impeller.
If you would like to learn more about our Langley drainage services for sump pump installation and repairs, or if you are interested in our sump pump services, please contact Murrayville Plumbing at 778-888-6451 or by filling out a contact form on our website.